Thursday, June 19, 2014

One Day at a Time

Was it God speaking to me or the current circumstances in my life... or both? For many years, I have dreamed of living full-time rving. Being able to see this beautiful country at my pace and not because I happen to be rushing here and there, moving from place to place or headed to one destination without stopping to breathe in the beauty of God's magnificent creations.

Now I begin...the dream is now unfolding before my eyes. Recently, I had surgery on my cervical spine in hopes of relieving pressure on the ulna near of my right (dominate) hand. I had been having pain for a couple of years, aggravated by the repetitive motions of my job. About a year ago, I developed weakness and started losing the use of two fingers, the pain was growing intensely and I had to seek some relief. It took several months before surgery was the final answer, however it did not bring me relief and my hand continued to become weaker, muscles atrophied and I was 3 1/2 months into recovering with only about a 10% improvement. At this time, I am on full time disability waiting the results of a second MRI.  And this is where it all began, I was beginning to realize that I may end up permanently partially disabled and not be able to do my job of 17 years! What was I going to do? What changes in my life was this going to bring?

I prayed...At first, I just let go and let God to do his work in me. Later, I began to ask Him to show me a glimpse of what His plan was for me, to give me something as not knowing was so scary. I am not a patient person - oh, is that what He was teaching me?! I trust in Him as I know God has bigger plans for me. Something so much better than I can dream. 

I don't remember how or who said it, but there it was..."maybe now is the time for you to begin that dream of full-time rv'ing." It wasn't long before I began to really think about making this dream come true, so I mentioned it to my 12 year old daughter, hoping the raging hormones would not explode into "NO! You're not dragging me around in a stupid trailer."  Surprisingly, her face lit up and smiling she said "I would love to do that." Well, that made it so much easier to share my ideas and together we decided we would be leaving our sticks and bricks in the summer of 2015!

We haven't set a launch date yet as I am waiting to see what the outcome will be regarding my medical/career situation.  I have some debt to take care of first and I need to know where my income will be coming from. I have been doing a lot of research about full-time rv'ing, reading books on the subject, comparing the pros and cons of rv types and visiting chat rooms - made some awesome new friends already.  We have visited several rv sales lots to see what type of rv we would want. For a while, it was down to a motorhome-class C or A, or a fifth wheel - the fifth wheel won out. Yesterday, we found the one, unfortunately we aren't ready to buy yet. At least we have narrowed it down to what we want!  It has been awesome having Sarah, my daughter participate so willingly in this dream. It has become her dream, too. We decided to wait until next summer, because she wants to finish middle school here. She is an excellent student and has been accepted as a teacher's assistant and a WebLeader (mentor for students and special activities participant), so it will be a memorable last year of middle school. I am so very proud of her. 

Still haven't figured out how it's all going to work out with 3 cats and a dog. The dog, a Chihuahua will be fine. It's the three cats I'm concerned about. I'm sure we will work that out as we still have about a year. 

We have started downsizing...at least in my mind! We have two large bags of clothes for the yard sale this summer and I've noted items throughout the house to sell. Room by room, piece by piece we will get there...one day at a time.

I hope you enjoy following us on this journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment